We are a branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) located in Pasadena.
What We Are Up To:
AAUW Pasadena Branch:
- celebrates its 87th year
- selects and provides funds annually for 7th grade girls to attend TECH TREK, a one week summer camp with math and science workshops on the campus of Whittier College part of a statewide program sponsored by AAUW CA.
- conducts a half-day STEM Savvy Conference, in partnership with Pasadena City College, designed to develop 6th – 8th grade girls’ interest and self-confidence in STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). It is a continuation of our 20 year Girls’ Science Day, with fun hands-on workshops presented by women in STEM fields in our area. The event invites parents and guardians to participate, getting guidance on how to foster STEM interest in their girls.
- has activities including six general meetings (Sept., Oct., Dec., Feb., Apr., and May) per year with exciting speaker programs that reflect the mission of AAUW. Last year members worked to realize the Pasadena Celebrates 2020 Rose Parade float, celebrating the centennial of Women’s Right to Vote, which won the Theme Award.
- funds arts grants to PUSD middle schools in partnership with Pasadena Unified School District.
- enjoys special interest group meetings, such as Book Club and Travel Adventures.
- enjoys community ties and is involved with local educational institutions and other community organizations, such as the Pasadena Commission on the Status of Women, Pasadena Women’s League of Voters, the UN Commission on the Status of Women, and Graduate Women International.
- has College/University Partnerships with California Institute of Technology and Pasadena City College.
- fund raises to support national AAUW Fellowships and Grants, one of the world’s largest sources of funding for graduate women, which paid out $4 million last year.
- supports programs of the national AAUW organization through membership fees and Annual Fund contributions including educational/training, advocacy, leadership and research.
- members participates in AAUW National’s “two minute activist,” getting regular alerts to easily contact legislators on topical issues for women and girl’s equity.